“Map Your Neighborhood” (MYN) is a program designed to help neighborhoods prepare for disasters.
|MYN will help you to:
• Learn the “9 Steps to Take Immediately Following a Disaster” to secure your home and to protect your neighborhood. The key to your survival may be what you and your neighbors know and how you will work together until help arrives.
• Identify the Skills and Equipment each neighbor has that would be useful in an effective disaster response. Knowing which neighbors have supplies and skills helps your disaster response be timely, and allows everyone to contribute to the response in a meaningful way.
• Create a Neighborhood Map identifying the locations of electrical shutoff, natural gas, and propane tanks for quick response if needed.
• Create a Contact List that helps identify those with specific needs such as elderly, disabled, or children who may be home alone during certain hours of the day.
• Work together as a team to evaluate your neighborhood during the first hour following a disaster and take the necessary actions.
“The Map Your Neighborhood (MYN) Program was developed by LuAn K. Johnson, PhD. Reprinted with permission from Washington State Emergency Management Division.”
MYN Discussion Guide
MYN Participant Handout
MYN Meeting Reminder
Introduction to MYN
The MYN (Map Your Neighborhood) training takes about 1 1/2 hours and consists of a DVD containing a facilitators guide and 11 videos.
These videos can be previewed here: MYN Videos
Permanent link to this article: http://www.volusiacoad.org/disaster-preparedness/neighborhood-preparedness/